About Me

My photo
I am mom to an 18 year old boy and identical twin 9 year old boys. I am the wife of a wonderful man. I have had celiac disease for 18 years, and love to share recipes I find or create!

Jul 12, 2012

Red Velvet and Yellow Cake Gluten Free Cupcakes

I must first admit I use Paula Deen's recipe for the red velvet cake, and just substitute The Gluten Free Pantry's All Purpose Flour when she calls for all purpose flour. I didn't make the frosting, since I was crunched for time I used Betty Crocker's whipped cream frosting. It was white and tasty, fit the bill perfectly. Yes, it's gluten free. I used my favorite go-to awesome recipe from Chef Talk - this recipe - for vanilla cake, and just added blue food coloring until it looked good and blue. The layers looked awesome when they came out of the oven, I had no idea they would color the papers too! They looked so fun frosted with red white and blue sprinkles! And as always, both cake recipes were just amazingly moist and tasty.

I personally find it really easy to pour my cake batter into disposable icing bags and just clip the tip, and squirt exactly how much batter I want into each cupcake liner. Less mess, less frustration especially when you are using bright red batter! I don't use the bags for icing, for some reason I always blow a side out when I use them for frosting. Maybe it's the way I squeeze the frosting out, or how I hold the bag in my hand. When the side pops frosting goes everywhere ... and it only has to happen a few times before you use a different bag! I am in love with my stained old Wilton white frosting bag, and now I have so many frosting tips I really should learn how to use them all!! Someday, when my children are grown I'll need something to do to keep me occupied. I'll learn how to use frosting tips then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment