About Me

My photo
I am mom to an 18 year old boy and identical twin 9 year old boys. I am the wife of a wonderful man. I have had celiac disease for 18 years, and love to share recipes I find or create!

Dec 19, 2010

Homemade Gluten Free Creamy Soups and Chowder Recipe

Over the last few days I have been talking with hubby about soups. I miss soup - New England Clam Chowder, Chicken & Stars, all those soups people eat out of a can without thinking!! So I decided to peruse the web and try to learn how to make a creamy soup. I was amazed at how easy it was, and so far have made an amazing ham and potato chowder, and last night a lovely cream of chicken soup. It's almost like a chowder, the broth is so thick, and omg is it amazing. I am in love!

*as always, if you are making this as a gluten free recipe check your ingredients to ensure gluten free status! I have brands I am very loyal to, but I still check every time I buy a new container to ensure nothing has changed on the ingredient list.

To make a chowder type soup simply get 3 to 5 cups of water boiling, and throw in whatever veggies you want. You'll learn quickly what to throw in first, and what to put in last, so they have the desired consistency. My first try my celery was super crunchy, but everything else was right so for us the celery and carrots boil for five minutes before adding potatoes or onions and such. I threw in a chicken boullion cube for both soups I made, and let that boil in. For ham I just threw in diced ham and was done, for chicken I skillet cooked cubed chicken breast in poultry seasoning, then threw that into our soup. Last step is tricky, so have your three ingredients measured and a whisk ready. Melt 4 to 5 Tbs of butter in a medium sized pot, then stir in the flour. The moment the flour is stirred in start SLOWLY pouring in two cups of milk, stirring nonstop with that whisk. If you get lumps, stop pouring and stir out the lumps. Make sure you get the edges of the bottom of the pot, we don't want dumplings! Keep stirring until all the milk is in, by now you should have a nice smooth whitish liquid. Keep stirring slowly over medium heat until it suddenly starts to thicken, and shut off the heat. Thicken it a tad more in the pot off heat, just stirring, then stir it into your soup!

Yes, it's easy! Next post I'll let you know how we make out trying creamy tomato soup and a beef soup :) WOOHOO!!

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment